News & Events‎ > ‎

Meeting Minutes Mar 27 2015

posted Apr 22, 2015, 9:58 AM by Web Master   [ updated Apr 22, 2015, 10:00 AM ]
Newell Sailing Club 

Executive meeting March 27/15

Members attending; Dave Mills, Don Snell, John Cormack, Richard Braul, Larry Van Pypen

Corncob Regatta scheduled for Aug 22/15. Motion by Dave Mills, seconded by Don Snell, motion passed.


The club has been rented for May 09/15, June 18 &19/15 to Griffin Park School, August 15 & 16/15. There is a  possible rental pending for August 29 & 30/15.

    Spring 2015 Cleanup date April 25 depending on weather and grounds conditions. Alternate date would be May 2.

    Wednesday Night sailing will start on June 17/15 to the end of August. The first Windsurf Clinic will start on May 30/15.

    There is tentatively a Kayak clinic scheduled for July 3/15 This could possibly include Stand Up Paddleboards depending on interest.

     Sail training clinics by ASA will be announced when dates are firmed up.

     Prairie Wind Regatta is scheduled for July 11 and 12 this year. The Fireball and Seaspray Nationals will be held on July 10, 11 and 12 in conjunction with the Prairie Wind.

      Fall cleanup is tentatively scheduled for October 03 with October 17 as an alternate date.

      St Mary's Sailing Club is holding their regatta on June 15 and may need our Signal boat to assist.

Discussion of budgeting $4000 for sailboard equipment and clinics as well as $2000 for kayaks and equipment to introduce members and others to kayaking. Motion by Dave Mills,  second by Larry Van Pypen, motion passed.

A motion was made by Don Snell to purchase another 10' x14' shed for rental. Budget $3500 for the shed and ~ $600 for screened and crushed gravel to set the shed on. Seconded by John Cormack, motion passed.

Discussion on renovating the launch ramp. It was suggested that the existing ramp be moved further out into the lake such that the outer edge is buried in the lake bottom. New concrete would be formed and poured at the top. There was discussion as to how we could improve traction on the ramp. Larry will price out concrete and gravel. Dave suggested that we have access to coarse Frac sand to spread on the ramp.

Discussion.; John Cormack has purchased “no-flat” tires to replace the caster style wheel on the boat trailer. John will build to suit.

We need to replace the existing Canadian flag and possibly install a windsock  on the second flagpole. Richard Braul will look into this.  

Motion to adjourn by Dave Mills. Seconded by Larry Van Pypen